Posted by: socalsalty | July 2, 2012

Trip Report: 3/4 Day On The Enterprise

When I went on the East Cape trip with 976-Tuna last month, one of the people I met was Capt. Andrew Siratt of the Enterprise.  The Enterprise is the 3/4 day boat out of Long Beach Marina.  One of the things that struck me most about Andrew on the trip was his obvious love of fishing.  After a day out on the water, I noticed him going back out in the early evening to throw from the shore.  You know that someone who chooses to do that when they are on vacation has the passion.  Andrew said to hit him up once we got home to come out and fish.  Saturday, the kids and I ventured down to ride on his boat.

The fishing started just outside the harbor in about 50 feet of water.  For bait, we had very small anchovies, with a smattering of sardines.  Capt. Andrew said to throw plastic, and some nice sized calicos started to come over the rail for anglers on the stern using smaller plastic (3 inchers) and smaller leadheads (1/8 to 1/4 oz).  It was odd to me because there was no kelp to be seen anywhere.  Jake was happily throwing Corey’s 5 inch MC Swimbaits with his bass rod and getting bumped, but no bass (too big probably).  Part of the issue was that we were up on the starboard side and the current was taking us toward the stern quickly.  Anglers further down the rail were casting over our lines creating tangles.  I was doubly frustrated because I left my bass rod in SD and was trying to fish 20lb mono with a small plastic on a live bait rod…not a great combo. We left that spot with neither Jake nor I scoring any bass.  Juj wasn’t into the fishing and stayed on the sidelines.

At the next spot we got into a nice topwater cuda bite.  No one was up in the bow, so Jake and I setup there.  Jake opted for the “cuda killer” (chrome/blue mackie Tady 45) and I was throwing an all chrome Tady 4/0.  We were enjoying watching the cuda follow us in, but no biters 😦  Then David, the galley cook, joined us in the bow and scored about 3 in a row using a smaller blue and white jig (Tady C?).  We went smaller to try and copy him, but a ton of boat pressure (all the LB and 22nd St. boats) drove the cuda down and it turned into a yoyo session.  I’m not particularly fond of eating cuda (I like it smoked, but smoking takes a lot of time), but I wanted to catch just one to enjoy the pull.  I switched to a small blue/chrome Fish Trap iron and scored a just short one to satisfy my fix (successfully released).

A ripping current brought out some funky rigs…reverse dropper with 10oz of lead, long leader tied to a swimbait, and tipped with squid!

At this point, the current was really starting to rip and the natives were getting restless.  Capt. Andrew hit some deeper water to fill sacks with rockfish.  I scored a quick 3 (1 bocaccio, and 2 nice reds) using a double dropper loop setup.  We were only in about 170 feet of water, but again the current was an issue.  I started with 8 oz of lead, and progressively moved up to a 12 oz before that much weight couldn’t even hold bottom.  Jake was going for the home run and fished sardines in a reverse dropper setup (hoping for a ling), but didn’t get any takers.  The thrill of the day was seeing a smallish mako (3 ft?) take a red that had fallen off someone’s hook.  I tried to throw on it to snag it but didn’t connect, and he disappeared.

Last stop of the day was in about 70 ft of water.  Jake and I were stuck on the side of the boat again, and rather than even try to throw plastic, I went straight to a dropper loop.  I put on a size one bait hook and patiently searched the hand wells for a bigger chove.  I found one and put it on.  Using 6 oz of lead, I still had a problem getting my bait down.  From our position about midship on the port side, I threw as hard as I could uphill and my rig landed just in front of the boat.  By the time it hit bottom, my line was a couple feet to my left!  I was rewarded though finding a calico wanting to eat my chove.  From there the current built up (really).  Jake and I were using 10 oz now!  In the interest of time (didn’t want to waste time searching for a decent size chove), we both fished squid strips.  No one was having much success, but I managed to pull one out of the hat and catch a whitefish.  Jake was able to get the skunk off and take one of the last cuda’s of the day.  I was really proud of him for sticking with it 🙂

Challenging day for sure, but we scratched out a decent mixed bag of fish…one cuda, one bocaccio, one calico bass, 2 red snapper and one ocean whitefish.  Here’s the official boat count.  On the way home, we went up to the wheelhouse to thank Capt. Andrew for inviting us out.  He was very gracious and let Jake take the wheel for the ride home…making my son’s day.  Thanks to the crew of the Enterprise for being very friendly and attentive throughout the trip.  Despite the challenging fishing, we enjoyed a nice variety of fishing and had a good experience.  We’ll come back.  Tight lines!

Jackpot cuda taken on a large Krocodile

Capt. Andrew guides Jake back into the harbor

Mixed bag for sure

Jake earned this 4th quarter cuda


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: